Saturday, July 23, 2011

The love-hate relationship with Alcohol, Drugs, and Depression

The first time I tasted beer was when I was nine years old, I secretly took a sip from my dad’s liquor storage and told myself that I’ll never drink for the rest of my life. My conviction that beer and drugs are evil was instilled based on experience; I would despise these two whenever I see my mom suffering from dad’s abuse. I still blame them for my unhappy childhood.

It was during my high school senior year when I was introduced to beer, promising to be better it suffixed “light” in its name. Claiming to be “light”-years away from the one I promised never to drink again, I greeted it into my life with open arms. It was never a drinking problem; sure I went out during my college days: every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I would go bar hopping with my friends, drinking popping e. I knew it was not the right choice and I wasn’t proud of it.

Alcohol would always find a way to get me whenever I wasn’t in my hometown, because whenever I’m in Pampanga, I lay off the alcohol. There were times, I went drinking with office mates, relatives, strangers, friends; just name it and I’m always ready to chug down a case or two.

I even had friends who introduced pot to me, I did it even if I don’t smoke. What I don’t understand is why they enjoy it. For me, it doesn’t give any effect thus I feel immune from its addictive power. If it does have any effect, it’s just that it makes me drink more.

Recently, my doctor said I should stay away from alcohol. It doesn’t help, at all, which I totally agree to. What I didn’t know is that alcoholism is not an effect of depression, but (major) depression (episodes) are caused by alcohol.

While it’s true that it takes your mind off the problem for a while, and it helps you go to sleep, the consequence is the idle time you get from the hangover. Alcohol temporarily blunts the effects of stress hormones. It typically leaves you feeling worse than ever because it depresses the brain and nervous system. When alcohol wears off, you will be more depressed than ever.


If you feel like you’re having a problem with alcohol as much as I do. I suggest you check this site

There are also alcohol movies that are recommended for those who need help and awakening:

BARFLY – Mickey Rourke/Faye Dunaway


 A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE – Peter Falk/Gena Rowlands

FACTOTUM – Matt Dillon/Lily Taylor

But all in all, what you’ll need is a steady hand to hold on to. Talk to your friends, family, sometimes even strangers can do. Just let it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment